OpenAI Finance ensures the organization is set up for financial success in pursuit of its mission. This role is an exciting position that demands a proven ability to implement a world-class revenue function and work seamlessly with cross-functional teams. It is an influential leadership position who steers the Controllership to meet the needs of a fast-growing business and is a financial linchpin for the organization.
You will be the head of the Revenue Accounting and Operations team, building and leading the day to day accounting and operations of our revenue function. Every aspect of your work requires you to integrate with cross-functional teams and you will be fluent in implementing solutions that achieve shared success. You will oversee all core revenue accounting aspects including month end close, annual audits, and GAAP-based revenue forecasting. You will also oversee the revenue operations function, ensuring a comprehensive, cohesive workflow from order to cash. This role will report to the VP of Finance and work closely with the CFO, Head of Business Development, cross-functional department leads, and key external partners. You should expect to play a foundational role in building - and sustaining - a world class finance team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Crafting the strategy and vision for the revenue org around revenue accounting processes, systems, policies, and collaboration with cross-functional partners
- Evaluating various revenue streams, applying the appropriate accounting guidance, and building the required operations to support the offerings effectively
- Collaborating with Deal Desk and Product to evaluate customer contract terms, non-routine transactions, new product offerings, and improve processes
- Building a best in class revenue team and driving career development for them, providing the leadership and structure for the team to excel as the company grows
- Designing and distributing revenue reporting to CFO, Controller, and GTM teams to analyze revenue trends and investigate variances from forecast
- Ownership of core accounting responsibilities including financial reporting, month-end close, and coordination of annual audits across the organization
- Seeking opportunities for efficiency improvements and driving implementation of the solutions across the revenue tech stack
We’re looking for a blend of:
- 10+ years of progressive experience within revenue accounting and operations; 3+ years in a leadership or management position
- Relevant revenue experience at some combination of public accounting firm, private company, or start-up
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to influence management and contributors at all levels of the organization and across functions
- A proactive leader who is proven in developing high-performing teams
- Exemplary analytical, verbal / written communication, and interpersonal skills
- CPA or CA with excellent technical accounting skills and a detailed understanding of US GAAP, specifically ASC 606 and relevant rules related to software, SaaS, and services
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance
You might enjoy this role if:
- You’re an enthusiastic self-starter. You thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment, and expect to own multiple areas. You take ownership of your work and believe that a job not done well is a job not done.
- You’re a phenomenal teammate. You’re a strong communicator who can explain complex topics with ease, in any format. You intuitively understand the importance of keeping everyone in the loop, and you take proactive measures to do so. You are fluent in translating concepts across teams to drive alignment and results.
- You’re excited about new challenges. You don’t have the answers to every question up front, but the process of solving them invigorates you. Complex issues requiring multifaceted knowledge excite you.
- You are proactive and analytical. You instinctively seek ways to refine processes by improving the accuracy of the underlying accounting records and mitigating operational inefficiencies. You demonstrate professional skepticism and a willingness to question why something is being done. You’re detailed and diligent.
- You’re a builder. You not only embrace the opportunity to have a direct impact on how a company operates, you revel in it. An organization relies on the quality of its foundation and your passion is building strong systems and processes from the ground up; you lead by example, rolling up your sleeves and contributing directly to the design and implementation of new areas.
- You’re passionate about technology and artificial intelligence.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.