Now Hiring: Senior Product Designer, Gatsby
At Gatsby, we believe that focusing on the user will enable all else to follow, and design plays a key role in solving real user problems. We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to join us to help create world-class experiences for our Gatsby Cloud users.
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has nearly 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps the professional developer build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+4)
Why We’re Hiring:
At Gatsby, we are driving a new wave of web development by empowering people to create blazing fast, structurally sound websites. Our design team provides our customers with usable experiences that delight our users. Towards these ends, we are seeking an experienced Product Designer with solid interaction and visual design skills who can build new experiences and improve existing in our SaaS product, Gatsby Cloud. Daily initiatives include identifying new user needs, partnering with others to rapidly iterate through Figma user flows and gather feedback.
Why this is interesting:
Tens of thousands of developers use Gatsby weekly, which means that you have a real responsibility to design experiences that meet and exceed the demands of this user base. Your designs for Gatsby Cloud will help onboard new users and inform new experiences. While Gatsby Cloud has a solid foundational base, the design landscape is ripe for innovation with a range of planned and potential projects.
Your primary focus will be our SaaS offering, Gatsby Cloud.
- Partner closely with designers, product managers, and engineers to translate user goals into elegant, memorable design solutions
- Create Figma artifacts that range from low-fidelity wireframes, to full-fidelity, pixel-ready designs, to HTML prototypes
- Work closely with product and engineering to refine, iterate, and implement solutions
- Ensure designs and user interfaces deliver on core product strategy and vision
- Leverage and evolve existing Gatsby Cloud design patterns and components
- Design and develop new components as needed for our design library
- Collaborate with other designers and front-end engineers to understand UI and UX best practices to inform product designs
- Drive and/or collaborate on user testing sessions
- Leverage users’ feedback to produce solutions that solve their problems
- Manage the design strategy for multiple projects at once
- Effectively balance big thinking and timely execution
- Present design process, solutions, and outcomes through written communication and public speaking
- Evolve processes for both the design team and the organization as a whole
This might be you if you:
- Love Figma, understand how to build and use Figma design systems, and keep up to date with their feature releases
- Have strong visual and product design skills
- Have experience designing for developer tools and/or SaaS products and shipping on a regular release cadence
- Have front-end coding skills in HTML and CSS and are comfortable implementing design changes
- Have experience balancing user feedback, input from teammates, and your own expertise
- Have strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Have experience working with engineering organizations
- Have experience creating and contributing to design systems
- Have a bias towards action, are a self-initiator, and can run with ideas
- Have experience building design team processes at early-stage organizations
Nice to haves, but non-essential:
- You have worked with Gatsby before
- You have worked remotely
The best parts of this job:
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web—and a technology that enables the next billion internet users
- The people and culture of a team genuinely invested in building something great
- You’ll be creating experiences for one of the most popular open source frameworks in the world
- You’ll help define the vision and design for Gatsby Cloud going forward
- You will partner with a world-class engineering team to build high quality, usable customer experiences
- You’ll have a highly supportive and passionate design team to bounce ideas off of, gather feedback, and carve out directions with
The worst parts of the job:
- While Gatsby’s rapid growth is extremely exciting, it can sometimes feel a bit disorienting. Roadmaps and tasks may not always be 100% crystal clear, and turning ambiguity into sensible solutions can be challenging. Here at Gatsby, we believe design has a hand in converting ambiguity into opportunity.
- Remote is wonderful! But, it can also require more self-initiative and conversation to move things and tasks along. Get ready for plenty of Slack conversations and video calls.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other folks from marginalized communities tend to only apply when they check every box. If you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily meet 100% of the job description, we encourage you to still apply. We’d love to have a chat and see if there may be a mutual fit!
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.