Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Trust organization protects, guides, and mobilizes the creation of trust in our community and on our platform. We hire quality talent who embody our company values and hold a steadfast commitment to creating a world where anyone in the Airbnb community can host, travel, and connect with peace of mind.
Policy Analytics, Research & Experience (PARX) team enables, facilitates, and streamline integrated data-driven decision making across Trust Policy & Partnership org committed to operational excellence and community experience through a culture of problem-solving, guided by data and research. We inject quantitative measurements into our processes and implement objective indicators of success - and most importantly create the resulting feedback and insights-to-action for our community, unlocking positive perception, usage, and retention. We showcase and solve the most pressing, most impactful policy concerns our community face, guided by data and research.
- You are passionate about solving complex problems with data; You are experienced in adding a fresh perspective to existing solutions and guiding business decisions based on careful and thoughtful analysis.
- You are a storyteller who uses data and insights to frame up complex information in a simple narrative to bring others along the journey.
- You are highly proficient in building and utilizing analytical frameworks, statistical models and experimentation methods to communicate causal relationships and inform business decisions.
- You build and interpret algorithms that power data products.
- You work independently with minimal supervision and act as a resource for cross functional colleagues.
- You have a strong sense of urgency for and commitment to Airbnb’s mission of belonging.
How you’ll make an impact
As the Business Insights Analyst, you will report directly to the Director of Business Analytics in Trust Policy & Programs and partner closely to incorporate data driven insights into community standards and policy creation. You will work across technical and business teams to develop robust data insights and experimentation platforms to support policy launches, enforcement efficacy, policy efficiency and prevalence. You will define and monitor metrics, create data narratives, and build tools to drive decisions for a three sided marketplace, balancing the safety and expression needs of our community and business and operational challenges. In addition, you will leverage Airbnb’s rich and unique data, state-of-art machine learning infrastructure, and other central data science tools to build and grow the capacity within the organization. You will also be deeply involved in the technical details of the various systems we build, and will have the opportunity to collaborate with a strong team of engineers, product managers, designers and operation agents to achieve shared, cross-functional goals to help keep Airbnb’s community safe and trusted.
In this role you’ll get to
- Use a combination of data engineering, science and analytics based skills to build the business insights platform across the Trust Policy & Programs org (backend automation to frontend insights, ranging from minor analysis to complex user behavior models).
- Perform data modeling for the various entities involved in Airbnb Trust including customers, hosts, cases, agents, and others using modern data modeling tools and frameworks to provide the analytical foundation of Airbnb’s policy positions.
- Conduct deep analysis into various operational areas including policy incubation, enforcement efficacy, prevalence, efficiency, agent tooling, agent staffing & optimization, and agent quality & efficiency to identify and solve for operational bottlenecks and inefficiencies.
- Blend external and internal data insights into a commercial and community policy context in order to inform policy positions and business impacts.
- Devise business metric frameworks and optimization models to make optimal business decisions that support arguments for Airbnb’s policy issues.
- Influence data-driven decisions across global sites and business verticals in day-to-day via business reviews, self-serve portal, planning scorecards, and impact analyses among others.
- Experiment with new Airbnb policy / product features to help deter and mitigate risk.
- Build machine learning models to automate policy enforcement decisions, while enqueueing the most complex cases for manual review by agents.
- Cross functionally coordinate with other technical teams on initiatives with policy implications.
We are looking for people who have
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience in data science with an emphasis on operations scalability and optimization; and on measuring and optimizing for customer satisfaction and safety for a digital product.
- Strong data analytics experience with an emphasis on developing business facing metrics and solving informing future business decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to create and drive technical roadmaps for the business, then seamlessly execute against them.
- Proven ability to tailor your recommended solutions to business problems to a cross functional team, with the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with cross functional partners of varying technical levels.
- Have a positive and solution-oriented mindset; leads by example.
- Expertise in partnering across global, matrixed, and cross-functional teams.
- Absolute ability to maintain confidentiality and objectivity.
- Demonstrated experience problem-solving in demanding environments.
- Exceptional presentation, written, and oral communication skills.
- Strong time management and prioritization capabilities.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or other quantitative field with 5+ years industry experience in driving full stack data projects from inception to business impact.
- SQL expertise + advanced programming skills (Python preferred), and deep experience in data engineering & data modeling (Hive, Presto, Spark preferred).
- A deep understanding of modern machine learning techniques and their mathematical underpinning, such as classification, clustering, optimization, deep neural network and natural language processing.
- Experience productionizing real-time machine learning models.