Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
We are embarking on a company-wide initiative to transform & re-build our global enterprise network to enable real time unified communications, collaboration and cloud services. The Biztech Network Engineering team are responsible for the architecture, design, vendor selection, implementation & operation of the global enterprise network solution consisting of enterprise wide design standards, global backbone, co-location facilities, internet peering, regional branch office WAN services, voice, video & collaboration services.
The role of the Network Engineer is to establish design solutions, standards, documentation & tools to improve the Airbnb network infrastructure so it can be run as a reliable quality user service. Expectations of the role are to enhance the infrastructure reliability, quality, user experience across the Airbnb, Corporate network, colocation facilities, office wireless service, and contact center voice.
The successful candidate will have a strong technical background experienced in designing & deploying network LAN, WAN, WiFi, firewall & VPN solutions across global office & backbone infrastructure. They must be experienced in driving technology enhancements & direction to drive service improvements to scale a global enterprise network over time as an organization rapidly grows.
- Develop standards-based network designs for the company's office and backbone infrastructure.
- Delivery of robust and comprehensive design documentation, incorporating best practices which address disaster recovery, incorporate test / compliance cycles and ensure as-build deployments meet design specs.
- Familiarity with design and deployment of controller based WLAN architecture, as well as cloud-based/controller-less enterprise WiFi solutions; experience with WiFi planning, post-install verification testing and user experience monitoring / modeling.
- Experience with network security, authentication and identity for wired and wireless 802.1X clients; Preferred background with Cisco ISE (Identity Services Engine).
- Evaluate new products, features and technologies which improve service availability and reduce costs, while providing comprehensive analysis and detailed implementation recommendations.
- Drive an embedded and pervasive security model into all aspects of network and voice infrastructure, site / backbone interconnectivity and to partner managed sites.
- Perform as Tier 2 escalation in support of IT operational organization during complex highly impactful outages that can cross multiple functional domains, involving chronic recurring problems, vendor product bugs and other critical network functionality.
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Vendor Management - maintain relationships with major product manufacturers and service providers, understanding product capability and placement; driving QBR content/direction and influencing service and product capabilities and roadmaps.
- Produce quality detailed documentation through the entire project delivery life-cycle and lead by example producing best-in-class design, deployment and operational documentation to cover all aspects of infrastructure systems ... from architecture, topology, support models, maintenance, troubleshooting runbooks, deployment cookbooks, disaster recovery, technotes, testing, etc.
- Automation - Drive simple and scalable approach to new technology solutions using automation to enable the organization to easily deploy and operate new features, capabilities and functionality.
- Coach, mentor, and motivate junior team members and contractors, providing positive career and personal growth.
- Capacity Management - Drive development of capacity planning model and tools, including ownership of decisions regarding future SIP provider upgrade planning and contract negotiations
- Working globally - Ability to work effectively as a local/remote team member, owning tasks to completion and socializing across team(s) to gain feedback and educate
- Set, own and continually manage technology project expectations with team members and stakeholders.
- Assist with identifying and screening future team members.
- Public Cloud Infrastructure design and deployment - create infrastructure design utilizing Public Cloud technologies with on-premise hybrid network design.
- 10 years combined experience with networking, firewall, standards, certification testing, design life-cycle and documentation.
- In-depth experience and understanding of WAN, ISP peering, BGP, QoS, IPv4/IPv6, DNS/DHCP, firewalls, wireless and L2 switching.
- Must have design and deployment experience with Cisco routing and switch products and beneficial to have Palo Alto firewall, Cisco 802.1x wired/wireless and VPN experience.
- On-call rotation and occasional domestic and international travel will be necessary.
- Strong technical leadership, teamwork, collaboration and communication skills.
- Must have automation/scripting skills - proficiency in Python, Ansible or Terraform.
- Experience with AWS global and EC2 load balancers
- Experience with Google cloud routers
Nice to Have:
- Cisco and Palo Alto Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, CCIE, PCSNE.
- AWS or GCP certifications
- Route53 routing policy (e.g. latency, geolocation)
- VPC peering and transit gateways
- Zero trust proxy solutions
- Hybrid data center and multi-cloud routing
- DDoS protection
The starting base pay for this role is between $144,000 and $180,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.