Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
What is the Web Platform team at Airbnb?
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. The Web Platform team is a part of our Developer Platform org and it enables Airbnb’s mission by empowering frontend web developers with reliable, performant, and developer-friendly tools. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical and mission-driven engineers to lead our Web Tools efforts. The team drives work across a range of surface areas including:
- Frontend Web Testing: Infrastructure and testing framework integrations enabling developers to write a comprehensive set of unit, integration, and end-to-end tests for the range of projects that live in our TypeScript monorepo
- Frontend Web Observability: Client-side web logging libraries, integration with vendor error monitoring solutions, alert generators for standard web metrics as well as their usage in automated canary analysis, and testing solutions to ensure logging quality in collaboration with other infrastructure teams
- TypeScript Monorepo & Developer Productivity: Build system and CI jobs for our typescript monorepo and associated optimizations for speed and stability, updates and support for foundational infrastructure libraries (e.g. yarn, TypeScript, Babel), and tools that aim to increase developer productivity from providing bundle size insights to a CLI that insulates developers from underlying command changes and improves command discoverability
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
What will a frontend engineer on Web Platform do?
As an engineer on the Web Tools team, you will be transforming how frontend web development is done at Airbnb. In this role you will be:
- Contributing across the team’s surface areas to directly move our core metrics (developer experience, developer velocity, debuggability, performance, and reliability) while reducing cost and providing new functionality to help make our team’s vision, and that of our broader org, a reality. Current projects include collaborating on our frontend Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) framework, frontend build system implementation, and testing framework enhancements.
- Improving developer productivity and velocity through the development and/or optimization of tools and libraries
- Partnering with Airbnb product teams to encourage adoption of tools and frameworks, as well as collaborating with a wide variety of other infrastructure teams to realize your vision and ensure a unified experience across platforms where possible. Your customers will be all engineers at Airbnb who work in our frontend monorepo.
We’re looking for engineers who:
- Seek to improve the tools and processes around them, and are energized by the task of improving developer experience and productivity
- Want to continuously learn and tackle projects across a broad surface area
- Love collaborating via product reviews, code reviews and architecture discussions
- Are excited to join an impactful infrastructure team
- 3+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with frontend testing frameworks and error logging
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively across teams with product, data science, and backend infrastructure partners
The starting base pay for this role is between $164,000 and $215,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…