We are looking for a full-stack software engineer to help guide our Developer Experience Team
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has over 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps professional developers build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC+2)
- Engineering Level: L4 - L5 (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Who we are and why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a complex, growing product that includes an open source framework and a cloud-based software as a service. As a Software Engineer on the Developer Experience squad, you will work on products that enable our customers to make best-in-class websites quickly and with confidence, while contributing to the development of our own best-in-class website, https://www.gatsbyjs.com/.
You’ll do so by using modern technologies like React and GraphQL and by collaborating with many different partners from other functional organizations such as Product, Design, Marketing, Customer Success, among others. We "drink our own champagne" to improve the workflows for our internal stakeholders and create examples, demos, and proofs-of-concepts to show how to use Gatsby in a variety of real-world applications.
Depending on the day, you’ll:
- Help us scale for the enterprise. You’ll contribute, build, and lead projects building out functionality like Single-Sign On, On-Premises version control systems like GitHub, GitLab, and more!
- Build out the Gatsby starters library. You’ll develop starters that can be backed by various content management systems which will enable our customers to deploy their brand new websites in minutes.
- Build improvements into GatsbyJS.com. You’ll drive new feature development on our website to support documentation, marketing, and other internal stakeholders.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and other engineers. You’ll play an integral role in our cross-functional team to help define the work and develop solutions for professional web developers.
- Utilize and contribute to shared front-end component libraries. You’ll be responsible for helping improve team efficiency by building upon component libraries that are shared across the entire engineering organization.
- Expertise with modern React. You will need experience and familiarity with current and future React APIs and capabilities, including hooks and concurrent mode.
- Create and consume product APIs. We use GraphQL and Node.js as our primary platform.
- Experience integrating with third-party applications. You will integrate our application with different systems including but not limited to Azure AD, GitHub (cloud and on-prem), and WordPress.
- Working knowledge of database systems, ORMs, and how to write code to interact with them. You will interact with technologies such as Prisma, PostgreSQL, and GraphQL.
- Strong command of HTML, CSS, and core web technologies. You will write code and examples that demonstrate best practices for performance, accessibility, and styling.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. You demonstrate the ability to explain complex technical concepts in an accessible way, interacting with coworkers and community members.
- Willingness to ask and answer questions, with a deep sense of empathy for our customers and our team. You’ll pair with and assist coworkers as well as community members.
We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t meet all of the qualifications. We especially encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
The best parts of this job
- You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on one of the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market, building a feature-rich content preview experience.
- You’ll work closely with a small, cross-functional team consisting of engineers, a designer, and a product manager to solve new and interesting problems.
- You'll play a key part in helping define our roadmap and prioritizing work.
- You'll work in a safe, open environment of talented engineers with a broad range of experience.
- You’ll directly impact our end users by making Gatsby the next way to build on the web — and a technology that enables the next billion web users.
The worst parts of this job
- As a fast growing startup, we have to move fast, which means some work will be descoped and priorities change frequently.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (Pre-Pandemic, but we’re exploring new ways to make meaningful connections remotely!)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.