About the team
The mission of the People team at OpenAI is to recruit, retain, support, and grow the extraordinary talent we need to achieve our mission.
Our HR team is a strategic partner across the organization. As a part of the People team, HR oversees employee and performance lifecycles, working cross-functionally with every team in the organization to foster a culture in which the exceptional people at OpenAI have the knowledge, support, and freedom to do their best and most creative work.
About the role
We're looking for an experienced, high-EQ, data-minded HR Generalist to support our unique and thriving organization in an empathetic and genuine manner. You will be OpenAI's subject matter expert on benefits programs, our HR systems' owner, and the data that power them. This role will report to the Director of HR.
In this role, you will:
- Own and support our benefits programs offerings
- Own all aspects of the employee data lifecycle and systems that manage them (new hire information, offboarding, transfers, and rotations)
- Collect, track, maintain and report employee data across all HR systems and workflows
- Partner with our Payroll and Finance teams to ensure employee benefits elections are synchronized properly
- Work cross-functional with our Legal, Operations and Recruiting teams across several projects and deliverables
- Maintain and protect confidential data with great discretion, judgment, and professionalism
We're looking for a blend of:
- Deep knowledge and experience with benefits at scale (250 - 500+ employees) and the ability to resolve complex benefits issues
- Building and scaling HR workflows and how they relate to various HR systems like BambooHR, Workday, Lattice, and others
- Experience managing employee data and using it to create valuable reports for critical leaders to inform decision making
- Strong project management skills, including attention to detail, the ability to manage multiple high-priority tasks, and adjust to shifting priorities while meeting deadlines
- Dynamic written and verbal communication skills, including the skills and nuance needed to communicate with diverse stakeholders in a high-touch, personalized manner
- Ability to identify and implement process improvements to make systems more streamlined
- Interest in DEI and how that can be both organic to the success of an organization and intentional.
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Are a people-person. You are energized by interacting with people. You are inspired by the thought of helping people achieve their best work. You are deeply empathetic and understand how to incentivize people toward desired behaviors based on their unique motivations.
- Are a lifelong learner. You are unironically passionate about topics that interest you. You are eager for information, tend to be auto-didactic, and enjoy teaching others.
- Are excited by new challenges. You don't have the answers to every question up front, but the process of solving them invigorates you. Bespoke issues requiring multidimensional knowledge excite you.
- Are a builder and a completionist. You not only embrace the opportunity to have a direct impact on how a company operates, you revel in it. An organization relies on the quality of its foundation and your passion is building strong systems and processes from the ground up and executing on them with precision to completion.
- Are passionate about technology and artificial intelligence.
This role is based in our San Francisco HQ. The annual salary for this position, depending on level, starts at $160,000. We also offer top-of-market benefits and generous equity that is structured to provide multiple paths to liquidity.
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.