The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
This role can be based out of our Dublin office, or remotely in the EMEA region.
MongoDB is seeking an experienced Systems / Atlassian Engineer to join an existing team that owns much of the internal infrastructure that empowers MongoDB Employees.
Our goal is to maximize the efficiency of our colleagues through the use of technology. This means we split our time between developing and maintaining critical IT/Infrastructure services that MongoDB Employees rely on and providing top-notch end user support to users on an L2/L3 basis. We regularly interact with employees across all-tiers of the company to better understand how our services are being used and constantly look for ways to improve employee workflows through automation and education.
We also believe strongly in personal growth and mentorship so your ability to succeed is directly related to your desire to grow.
Our ideal candidate will have
- A Bachelors in Computer Science and/or 3 - 6+ of years experience in a Systems Engineer, JIRA Architect, or DevOps Engineer role
- Experience deploying and maintaining secure systems in controlled, high-availability environments
- Extensive experience with the Atlassian product suite, with specific focus on JIRA as a Project/Application Administrator or Systems Engineer
- Ground up deployments and upgrades of JIRA server
- Experience customizing JIRA projects with various schemes, complex workflows, screen schemes, permission schemes, and notification schemes
- Ability to write custom JQL (Jira Query Language)
- Ability to construct custom dashboards using various filter types
- A firm grasp on Linux/Unix fundamentals and 2+ years experience with at least one scripting language (Python, Perl, Unix shell, etc)
- Working knowledge of cloud infrastructure such as AWS EC2, S3, etc.
- Familiarity with databases and SQL competence
- A proven track record of exceeding customer expectations in an end user support role
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex situations and utilize troubleshooting skills, systems and tools, and creative problem-solving abilities under pressure
- The ability to clearly communicate complex technical topics to a wide range of employees in both verbal and written form
- A naturally calm and empathetic demeanor, combined with the ability to concurrently solve multiple issues in real-time through superior personal time management
- The desire to “automate everything”, combined with the ability to rapidly learn the technical skills necessary to do so
- Play a primary role in deploying and maintaining JIRA (and similar core IT services) in a secure, controlled environment
- Work with teams across MongoDB, to understand their IT/JIRA needs, providing novel technical solutions that maximize their effectiveness and optimize their daily workflows
- Design, build, deploy, and operate IT services that are reliable, scalable, and observable
- Investigate gaps and limitations in our existing JIRA projects / environments and come up with well-thought-out long-term solutions
- Provide L2 / L3 support for the IT team, handling escalations that require technical expertise
- Be a strong technical voice within the organization by providing training for colleagues and developing self service resources where possible
The Systems Engineer will be successful in this role when they can execute the following strategic tasks/responsibilities
- Maintain an accelerated personal growth path
- In 3 months you’ll be fully up to speed on the services and technologies we deploy and maintain, having the ability to independently make significant contributions to our existing JIRA platform/infrastructure
- Within 6 months you’ll be actively developing novel solutions to inefficient processes and problems around the company
- By 12 months you’ll be thinking largely in terms of efficiency and have the skills necessary to execute on your ideas. You’ll have used your deep knowledge of our services to promote best practices and procedures across the org. You will also be a subject matter expert in at least one system we own, and will have made a number of sizable contributions to our code base / services that significantly improve the quality, reliability and maintainability of our systems.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.