Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Note: This role can be based in Singapore or Australia. This application is for the Australia based position (if you are interested in Singapore based position, please submit your application separately as there are different data privacy notices).
We want you to be part of our APAC Legal team! As the Senior Counsel for Australia & New Zealand (ANZ), you will report to the Lead Counsel, APAC, and serve as legal partner to multiple foundational teams. You will work very closely with the other members of the APAC Legal team, as well as the global Legal team. This role is based in Sydney, Australia.
- Act as an effective and trusted partner to the fast-paced and high-performing Airbnb Australia & New Zealand team.
- Deliver clear, effective and practical legal advice to the various business functions comprising the ANZ team. These include business development, public policy, marketing, and communications.
- Possess in-depth knowledge of the ANZ legal landscape regarding planning and short term rental accommodation, consumer protection, competition, marketing, discrimination, digital platforms, employment, privacy, tax, dispute resolution, and law enforcement. Be attuned to legal developments in ANZ in these areas. Experience in dealing with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and the New Zealand Commerce Commission will be a strong advantage.
- Be adept in making sensible legal risk assessments which consider practical solutions to mitigate legal risk whilst keeping business priorities at the forefront.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation/tribunal matters and other user disputes in ANZ.
- Effectively collaborate with regional and global colleagues, whether in APAC or globally, to (i) provide globally aligned legal advice that appropriately balances domestic and global perspectives and needs; and (ii) participate in global workstreams.
- Fluency (reading/writing/speaking) in English is essential.
- At least 9 years’ post-qualification experience, including at least 5 years’ relevant in-house experience in an MNC, preferably in the tech / digital space.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in navigating and excelling in highly ambiguous environments.
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- Ability to spot key risks, analyse and assess risk, and provide actionable recommendations.
- Flexibility and willingness to work with all levels of the organization, and to roll up your sleeves to get the job done.
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change.
- Highly collaborative with excellent communication and listening skills.
- Organised and methodical, and able to effectively manage projects, audits and investigations, and crafting workflows, protocols and processes.
- Self-starter, driven and able to work autonomously while prioritizing competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Empathetic, caring, humble keen learner with growth mindset, entrepreneurial.
- Adaptable individual possessing high integrity, excellent judgment, a sense of humour and a love for fun and adventure.
- International travel may be required.