About the Team
We own the entire process, starting from sourcing and system design of what components go into the machines and how they are networked together. We work with vendors to build and deliver these systems, balancing the constraints of power, cooling, network speed vs size, real estate, cost, and component supply. Once clusters arrive we validate, configure, and maintain the infrastructure for our researchers.
OpenAI has a huge compute capacity. You won’t encounter any other organization in the world with as much compute per employee. We are a small team that moves quickly, with access to huge resources, working with a direct impact on the success of OpenAI and, by extension, the field of AI as a whole.
About the Role
As a Software Engineer in High-Performance Computing Infrastructure, you’ll work at the intersection of hardware and software, designing systems that deliver the maximum possible performance for running large-scale AI models. We work at the very cutting edge of speed and scale, combining the traditions of High-Performance Computing (HPC) in a modern cloud and containerized environment.
For this role, it’s important you understand microarchitecture: how to combine CPUs, GPUs, and network devices into systems that are then deployed at a large scale to peak efficiency. You understand the lowest levels of the software platforms that sit on top of this hardware, including how to best optimize the Linux kernel and user-space code. You are capable of writing code to automate the health checks and healing of these systems, commanding a large number of servers with few people.
In this role, you will work closely with and directly accelerate machine learning researchers, but don't need to be a machine learning expert yourself. We value people who can quickly obtain a deep technical understanding of new domains and enjoy being self-directed and identifying the most important problems to solve.
Skills and experience we're seeking include:
- Expertise with high-performance networking, ideally with MPI, NCCL, RDMA, and/or Infiniband
- Experience with GPUs in large scale networks strongly preferred
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and the Linux networking stack
- Experience developing high-quality software in a general-purpose programming language (Python, C, C++, Go, etc)
- Experience with virtualization and container architecture in cloud environments
- Tenacious at troubleshooting hardware and network topology failures in distributed systems
- Independently driven and able to own problems and build solutions from end-to-end
- Ideally experience with large scale data center operations, particularly thermal and power constraints
- Familiar with Kubernetes, Terraform, and/or Chef as orchestration and system tools
- Experience with Azure is a plus
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via firstname.lastname@example.org.