About the Team
The Supercomputing team owns the entire process of building OpenAI’s compute and infrastructure, which includes 1) the sourcing of hardware and system design, 2) the deployment of huge clusters using Kubernetes and Azure, 3) writing and maintaining our own internal experiment framework for running the largest ML models out there. We work at the very cutting edge of speed and scale, combining the traditions of High-Performance Computing (HPC) in a modern cloud and containerized environment.We recently launched our newest cluster, “Owl” with over 250K cores, 10K GPUs, and 400Gbps of networking per node. This would be in the top 5 of the TOP500 supercomputers in the world.
You won’t encounter any other organization in the world with as much compute per employee. We are a small team that moves quickly, with access to huge resources, working with a direct impact on the success of OpenAI and, by extension, the field of AI as a whole.
About the Role
In this role, you will work closely with machine learning researchers, but don't need to be a machine learning expert yourself. We value people who can quickly obtain a deep technical understanding of new domains and enjoy being self-directed and identifying the most important problems to solve. Experience with high-performance computing, or open-source contributions is a bonus.
As a Supercomputing software engineer here, you should:
We think you’ll find this work really exciting if you:
- Know your way around bash, Terraform, Python, and/or Chef
- Have experience running large Kubernetes clusters with GPU workloads, in the range of 500-1,000 nodes and GPUs
- Can design a highly available distributed system
- Have helped a team mature with standardized tools and processes around stability, observability, and scaling
- Have worked with highly performant bare-metal systems
- Have experience working with Azure or other cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP
- Have experience designing, implementing, and running production services
- Are confident in managing and monitoring large-scale infrastructure deployments
- Can debug problems across the stack, such as networking issues, performance problems, or memory leaks
- Own problems end-to-end, and are willing to pick up whatever knowledge you're missing to get the job done
- We estimate that someone with 3-5+ years of experience as a software or DevOps engineer will quickly contribute to our challenges
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.