Help Gatsby Cloud achieve greater scale, with a focus on quality and stability.
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has nearly 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps the professional developer build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby Cloud is growing fast, and we’re building products that make our user’s projects easier to manage, scale, and improve. The team is small with a million interesting problems to solve.
The mission of the Builds and Deploys squad is to architect, build, operate and enhance Gatsby Cloud infrastructure in the support of product initiatives. The team strives to impact performance, reliability, security, and scalability as we create the best builds platform on the planet for Gatsby sites
As we’re growing, we need more engineers to support and own these initiatives! You’ll be working closely with our amazing team, solving interesting problems and helping us anticipate how we can improve our infrastructure as we scale.
- Create and maintain infrastructure utilizing Kubernetes, Terraform and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Debug and investigate complex and interesting customer issues.
- Be available for on-call rotation.
- Create and enhance tools to improve our internal developer experience.
- You have deep experience with designing and making scalable systems tick, and it’s what gets you up in the morning -- designing scalable systems that meet and exceed user expectations of speed, scalability, and reliability. Bonus points to awareness of Google Cloud’s offering and Saas systems.
- Experience with Kubernetes cluster design and managing Kubernetes at scale.
- Proven experience in operations. You’re opinionated about tooling, and have ideas about what we can do better or differently. You’re active, responsible, and thoughtful about metrics. All of this is driven by a desire to understand and relate to the customer experience.
- You have experience scaling up and maintaining DBs like Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, and/or Redis.
- Linux/Unix feels like home and you are comfortable doing some programming.
- Implementing monitoring solutions makes you sleep well at night.
- Experience with Terraform, Ansible, and other IaaC type of tools.
- You feel comfortable working on Node.js applications. This will make it easier for you to dive into our Node.js backend applications as-needed.
The best parts of this job
- You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on one of the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market.
- You’ll feel a deep sense of ownership. This role will play a key part in shaping our future as we scale. We’ll welcome your thoughts and opinions about how to improve our infrastructure with open arms.
- An incredible team to learn from and mentor. From domain experts to incredibly talented early-career developers, the Gatsby Cloud Team is a team that you will be challenged by, and that you will challenge.
- Challenging technical problems. These include scaling, container orchestration, and running untrusted code at scale. These challenging engineering endeavors and problems are complex, but rewarding and oh-so-fun.
The worst parts of this job
- Shifting context. You may necessarily have to shift context, whether it’s due to shifting priorities, or an urgent customer-facing issue.
- We’re a really distributed team. The team, in particular, has contributors from the Pacific time zone to the India standard time zone. We’re passionate about remote work, and strive to create sustainable work schedules for everyone, but this sometimes results in long feedback loops.
- We don’t know what we don’t know. You are probably going to be leaned on to suggest improvements to processes that we acknowledge are clunky, but also point out areas where we need structure we haven’t even scoped yet.
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote - US Based timezone
- Engineering Level: Level 4 (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We are distributed first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR coworking/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- WiFi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (once it’s safe to travel again!)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.