To our developer community, you will represent the company. To the company, you will represent the community.
IMPORTANT NOTE: We will begin interviews for this role the week of May 2nd, 2022.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Fully Remote (North or South America preferred)
- Leveling for the role: Sr. Manager - Sr. Director
- Engineering Competency: L4+ (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is growing quickly and we are looking to take our DevRel game to the next level! We have an ambitious product roadmap and set of business goals and are growing our teams to support this plan. We have a very large community with the potential of being incredibly massive and it is time for us to change the way we interact with this audience. We are looking to bring in a high level of experience to our team and someone who can help reignite the function at Gatsby!
Why this is interesting
We are an early-stage startup in high-growth mode and there is a lot of opportunity to have a large impact on our future trajectory. You will be engaging with an already large community of developers using our products and contributing to our open-source project. You will have the freedom to experiment and drive your own initiatives to grow and engage the community. You will be a true face of the Gatsby brand.
- You ensure that our developer community is well supported, directly engaging with them as well as representing their “voice” back to our internal teams
- You monitor and respond to community questions in a kind, helpful and swift way and update FAQs, threads, documentation etc. accordingly
- You report, and sometimes fix bugs encountered by yourself or members of the community
- You develop unique tutorials, articles, and other educational resources for the community to support their needs
- You document and analyze community feedback in a structured way and suggest measures to best serve our community directly as well as through Marketing, Product, and Engineering teams
- You regularly attend (and encourage others to attend!) meetups, events, and similar functions, representing Gatsby and interacting with our audience as well as the wider web development community
- You will speak (and encourage others to speak!) and present at not-only traditional events but also webinars, podcasts, media interviews, and more.
- You also shine the light on others from the community, curating and encouraging user-generated content and others speaking on Gatsby’s behalf
- Eventually, build and manage a team of Dev Rel professionals as we scale the business to new heights
- Engineering expertise in the modern frontend ecosystem and web world. Gatsby is built on the shoulders of giants---technologies like Node.js, GraphQL, React, webpack, and Babel. We’re changing how the web works. The ideal candidate will have engineering experience with these or similar technologies and generally a lot of experience building websites.
- History of getting things done in dynamic and fast-growing environments. There’s a huge amount of greenfield in front of us. You’ll need a combination of willingness to experiment, fingertip feeling for Gatsby users, and a robust quantitative skillset to lead the team towards consistently shipping work with measurable impact.
- Top-notch written and verbal communication skills. You should have a demonstrated history of communicating complex technical ideas through writing and presenting at conferences and on podcasts.
- Experience building and growing developer relations or community teams. You intuitively know how to recognize, recruit, and nurture the unique folks that make great DevRel engineers. You also know how to align their talent with the needs and goals of the company.
- Collaboration is core to how you work. While this role does entail a high-level of individually focused work, we aren’t looking for a lone-wolf or solitary hero. Success in this role will include close collaboration with others, both internal and external to Gatsby.
- Have built websites with Gatsby
- Has direct experience/knowledge of CMS products, particularly headless CMS products such as Contentful, Sanity, Drupal, WordPress, or ContentStack.
- Has worked alongside a professional Marketing function
- Has early to mid stage startup experience
- Have significant experience working remotely
- Bonus: Have an established network and “following” within the web development industry
The best parts of this job
- Joining an incredible, diverse, and passionate team that is committed to making Gatsby the default standard for the modern web, and an enduring and beloved brand.
- This is an incredibly public-facing role, yet one that also has internal, business-critical impact.
- You’ll shape the growth of an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web---and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
The worst parts of this job
- Gatsby’s DevRel™ needs to be defined. You will be building a department at Gatsby, and with building a department comes the challenges of aligning stakeholders, establishing the vision, and ensuring that the value of DevRel is well understood. This will be challenging!
- Context shifting. DevRel means many things to different people, and so you’ll have to be comfortable context switching, jumping into new and varied problems (opportunities!), and sometimes shifting priorities as you establish the longer-term vision and strategy for DevRel at Gatsby.
- There’s a long-tail to your efforts. The impact of your role will be felt but good DevRel can take years and multiple touch points to positively impact and shape the business and community. Lots of work, a little butterfly effect, and some of it done behind the scenes, but the fruits of your labor will eventually pay off in a big way.
- Challenging to measure. DevRel is still in the early stages of understanding for the industry, and there are not consistent, standardized metrics for a high-functioning DevRel role. Your work will be highly appreciated, but you may have to do some finagling to quantify your efforts!
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations for company-wide meetups (Covid permitting)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.