The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Technical Services has over 250 global team members in offices spanning the entire globe. Outstanding, industry-leading customer satisfaction is achieved utilizing a 24x7x365 ‘follow-the-sun’ support model with regional teams covering the Americas, EMEA, and APAC regions. The team is composed of highly skilled and experienced engineers from varying platform support, operations and software development backgrounds.
Technical Services at MongoDB sits at the crossroads of our customer-facing technical teams, product management, product development, cloud platform operations, and the company’s executive team. We collaborate with and influence all of these functions.
We are searching for an experienced, dynamic technical leader for our global Cloud Migration Assessment team. This will be a critical hands-on Technical Services role that leads a team and process focused on assessing the technical requirements for a successful migration from on-premise or otherwise self-managed MongoDB installations to our cloud-based data platform, Atlas. The role and team will have a key stakeholder voice in cross-organizational initiatives that continuously improve our capacity for great Atlas migration experiences for our customers.
The person who holds this role will be a strategic thinker who can plot a developmental course for the team, its programs, and its engagement with other stakeholders, as well as successfully evaluate the merits and risks in specific migration plans. They will become an expert in the relevant technologies associated with customer migrations. Our Atlas customer base is growing rapidly and this team is essential to customer satisfaction, unlocking revenue, and successfully scaling our business.
Typical responsibilities of the role include
- Managing a small team of experts who are responsible for correctly assessing the detailed requirements for migrating a self-managed MongoDB database to Atlas
- Overseeing the hand-off of feasibility and requirements assessment to our counterparts on the Professional Services team who will use the assessment to build a scope of work
- Collaborating with Customer Success, Professional Services and other members of the Technical Services team to ensure migrations are consistently well-planned and executed
- Partnering with managers and engineers within and across our customer-facing organizations to proactively prevent migration-related escalations by aligning the right resource to the right activity at the right time
- Collaborating with the product management and product engineering teams to feed back product-related issues and suggest features that can streamline the process of migrations and improve customer experience
- Working alongside our Tools team to improve the automation and accuracy of our technical requirements assessments
This role will demand a significant amount of customer engagement, development of trust, and leading through influence. Our customers are the best and brightest in the business and they have great expectations of our products and our company. If you are the type of person who enjoys helping customers, is detail oriented and can map the intricacies of a complex migration process, and applies preparation and active rehearsal to often complicated changes in the technical architecture of mission-critical applications, this job may be a great fit for you.
- At least five (5) years experience in a highly technical, post-sale leadership role at a SaaS, PaaS and/or IaaS software company in either Technical Support or Professional Services
- At least five (5) years experience in a technical individual contributor role, working on developing,deploying and/or operating cloud infrastructure-related solutions
- Experience with implementing technical feasibility assessments for database ETL processes, with particular focus on cloud-based digital transformation projects
- Experience sourcing, hiring and developing global technical teams with strong engineering backgrounds
- Prior global people management experience with a focus on career development in a high-growth, rapidly changing corporate environment
- Ability to support or conduct virtual meetings with customers, and competently manage a presentation to a group of up to 20 people who possess varying role levels (from engineers to C-level executives)
- Prior experience as an IaaS or PaaS technical support or devops expert is desirable, as MongoDB is a highly technical platform product and successful candidates typically are comfortable with conceptualizing the layers of complex distributed systems, light programming, writing queries, and operating in a command shell
- Prior work at a database company, specifically in the NoSQL market, or a similar highly concurrent distributed system commonly used in production architectures
- Experience producing management dashboards and scorecards using tools like Tableau
- Within 45 days
- Complete our new hire training program; be able to speak confidently about our total portfolio of products
- Be able to navigate our core products at a beginner level
- Network with peers across Customer Engineering, Customer Success, Product Development and Product Management
- Conduct listening sessions amongst global leaders to assess current Atlas onboarding and migration processes and identify opportunities for improvement
- Within 90 days
- Create a formal, quarterly report of migration requests and their outcomes/learnings
- Initiate regular 1-on-1s with key stakeholders across field-facing and product development organizations to build cross-functional relationships and maintain consistent communications about current and recently completed migrations
- Continue to develop an assessment rubric for customer and internal stakeholders (e.g. Sales) to determine technical feasibility and scope of a migration
- Begin to use existing tools and checklists to assess customer migration readiness
- Catalog exceptions to standard migration assessment processes and tools; start to build a list of tools, process and product improvements
- Within 120 days
- Demonstrate ability to assess more complex migrations (e.g. sharded clusters, asymmetric infrastructure topologies between source and destination, etc.)
- Implement effective bi-directional communication between the assessment team and the PS-led onboarding leader and their migrations team
- Develop planning and execution playbooks for common migration scenarios
- At 160 days and onward
- Develop, maintain, and routinely publish a forecast of upcoming migrations, for both proactively managed migrations as well as long tail ones (where migrations can be predicted using MongoDB telematics)
- Promotes team-wide awareness of the state of the art of MongoDB migration capabilities and constraints as they continue to evolve
- Develop a strategic roadmap for migration assessments
- Start to contribute to the Product Feedback program to initiate product change requests that improve and streamline the migration process
- Produce growth plans for the team of migration assessment engineers
We are looking to speak to candidates who are based in Austin, New York City or Dublin for our hybrid working model.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.