Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Service Platform team is a part of our Developer Platform org and it enables Airbnb’s mission by empowering developers with a reliable, performant, and developer-friendly service platform to enable scalable service development at Airbnb. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add highly technical and mission-driven engineers to lead our Service Infrastructure efforts. The team drives core service development components including:
- Build System - Build system and various integrations to manage our jvm monorepo.
- Tooling - For integration testing, fault injection testing, API exploration etc.
- Service IDL: Infrastructure to enable interface definitions and inter service communication.
- Dropwizard - Service framework uses Dropwizard under the hood. We configure dropwizard in accordance with our Thrift definitions and provide middleware to integrate custom features (like logging, observability, authentication) relevant to the Airbnb development ecosystem.
- Async programming frameworks - A framework for highly parallelized async processing.
- Resilience - Various resilience features are baked into all of our offerings - like circuit breaking, back pressure, bulk heading.
- Metrics and Observability - Facilities for metrics and observability. Automatically generate key metrics and dashboards that will be used to maintain healthy services.
What will a backend engineer on the Service Platform do?
As an engineer on the Service Platform team, you will be transforming how backend service development is done at Airbnb. In this role you will be:
- Improving developer productivity for our Backend engineers is one of the biggest opportunities in front of the team. If we can improve productivity by 20%, the impact is equivalent to hiring 20% more developers.
- Responsible for building the technical vision and evolving Airbnb’s service development infrastructure that will directly move our core metrics (Developer Experience, Developer Velocity, Service Performance, Debuggability, Resilience and Reliability) while reducing cost and providing new capabilities.
- Partnering with TLs across all Airbnb teams for adoption of the new framework capabilities. Your customers will be all backend engineers at Airbnb.
We’re looking for engineers who:
- Want to tackle projects with large open-ended scope and drive significant business impact
- Love collaborating via product reviews, code reviews and architecture discussions
- Are motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity
- Are excited to join an impactful infrastructure team
- 5+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in one or more back-end server languages (Java/Ruby/Go/C++/etc.)
- Experienced in architectural patterns of a high-scale distributed products/services, such as well-designed APIs, data pipelines and efficient algorithms
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product and data science partners
The starting base pay for this role is between $164,000 and $215,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status