Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
The Video Transcode team at Twitch oversees the core video processing services that cover Transcoding Packaging and HLS media generation for hundreds of thousands of live concurrent channels. The team is also responsible for multiple other projects including building scalable transcoding solutions, Integrating new codecs and technologies and supporting different video formats.
The Video Transcode Team is looking for a Senior Video Engineer with hands-on experience in developing and deploying video transcoding solutions. You will lead the design and architecture phase and drive coordination work with other teams and stakeholders to ensure end-to-end solution bring up and deployment. You will also work with other teams to ensure scalability, innovation and solving very challenging problems. You will report to the Engineering Manager, Video Transcoding.
- Own existing and future transcoding solutions and deliver on product roadmaps
- Identify present and future transcoding requirements and select technologies
- Evaluate third party technologies and compression products and solutions and make recommendations
- Coordinate with different teams on the end to end video solution integration and bringup
- Develop automated video solution testing: Unit tests, regression tests and E2E validation tests
- Build an understanding of Twitch video processing and delivery pipeline
- B.S Degree and 5+ years of relevant engineering experience
- Solid knowledge in digital signal processing and information theory and its applications to video compression
- Experience building video encoding and processing accelerators with high-throughput, low-power, with complexity and cost
- Experience in FW and ASIC architecture design for video codecs
- Solid knowledge in Video Quality assessment: PSNR, SSIM, VMAF, MOS etc
- Experience with engineering leadership: write tech specs, dentify risks, plan work phases and rollout plans including integration and testing strategies
- Good Software development skills, C/C++, Pythons, Linux systems
- Experience with video containers and transmission protocols: FLV, RTMP, MPEG TS, MP4
- Solid knowledge in video codecs such as H.264, H.265, VP8/VP9 and AV1.
- Experience with video compression and delivery protocol: HLS, Dash, etc
- A Bachelor or preferably Master or PhD, in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Passionate about video streaming technologies.
- Good knowledge of industry streaming and transcoding technology vendors
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance
- 401(k), Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO
- Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount
- Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages, etc.),
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, or other legally protected status.