Make money moves.
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has nearly 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps professional developers build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Why we’re hiring
As the first dedicated Solutions Engineer, you’ll be establishing what SE best practices look like at Gatsby. As we scale, your role could continue on the technical track, or perhaps you have previous management experience and are interested in managing the team once it scales.
Why this is interesting
The Solution Engineering team will work closely with our customer as well as every team at Gatsby! You’ll get experience with customers from all different stages along the customer path and get to see and work on the incredible things people are building with Gatsby.
- Ensure customers are wildly successful on their journey with Gatsby. We have a growing and diverse mix of customers with a range of skills. You’ll work directly with these customers to help identify and troubleshoot technical issues that impede their progress. You will also drive feedback into product and engineering to directly improve Gatsby.
- Help accelerate sales. You will be the technical expert brought in to help potential customers understand the benefits of Gatsby and it’s architecture and plug-ins. This will entail video calls with customers, interactive workshops, and written reports.
- Help customers get results. You will lead the pre-sales technical engagement. Your goal will be to help customers succeed in their evaluation process by running an organized, high touch Proof of Concept focused on the customer’s success criteria.
- Lead training sessions to get engineers up to speed on Gatsby. Customer teams often have varying levels of experience with Gatsby, and you’ll help teams get on comfortable with advanced Gatsby topics quickly.
- Deep dive into performance issues on customers’ Gatsby sites. As an engineer, you’ll work closely with customers to help them identify performance issues on their sites, discover recommendations for how they can fix them, and clearly present these recommendations.
- Ability to dive into complex web performance problems. You should be able to quickly assess, understand, and assess where and how performance issues arise in customer code.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. You’ll communicate clearly and concisely via email, Notion, Github, Slack, and Zoom to name a few.
- Ready and willing to ask and answer questions. You’re comfortable saying you’re unsure, asking for help, and reaching out to assist others. You thrive and Gatsby thrives because of continuous learning.
Experience it would be nice if you had, but isn’t required
- Sales or consulting experience. You may have worked with (or on!) sales teams before and have an understanding of the sales process and what makes prospects become customers.
- Agency experience. Gatsby is very popular with digital agencies. If you’ve worked as a web developer at an agency, this will be a seamless transition.
- Public speaking experience. You may have given talks at a local meetup, or even at a conference in front of hundreds of people.
The best parts of this job
- Measurably improve real-world Gatsby sites. Your work will have an impact on real-world production sites, improving performance and end user experience for countless people.
- Identifying and developing new service offerings for customers. As you work with sales and prospective customers, you’ll identify patterns in the kinds of help customers need and will help our product and engineering teams develop new packages and service offerings to provide to customers.
- Live and breathe on the cutting edge. You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on one of the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market and helping customers to make the most of it, using modern tools such as Node, React, and GraphQL.
- Make Gatsby the way to build for the web. Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web -- and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
The hardest parts of this job
- Business priorities evolve quickly. Gatsby is a quickly scaling business, which means that priorities are constantly evolving. You’ll need to be quick on your feet and interested in stretching your own skills in new directions as our company and product scale.
- Experiments sometimes fail. The flip side of experimenting with new service offerings is that we might not always get it right. As much as we try not to, we sometimes disappoint our customers. But at Gatsby we are a supportive team committed to experimenting, learning, and making meaningful decisions to impact the growth of our customers’ and our own businesses.
- You'll have multiple stakeholders with different backgrounds. Working directly with different (non-engineering) teams, leadership, and engineering on both our side and the customer side means you have to be a master of communication and understanding what makes different folks tick. You need to be a chameleon of communication, adapting at every step to ensure different groups are aligned and always have the info they need to succeed.
Benefits and Perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We are distributed first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR coworking/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- WiFi and cell phone reimbursement
Details of the Role
- Type of Work: Full-time employee
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-5 to UTC+4 time zones)
- Engineering Level: L4-L6 (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Our Hiring Process
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.