About the team
The Applied team safely brings OpenAI's technology to the world. We released the GPT-3 API and Codex, which powers GitHub's Copilot. There's a lot more on the immediate horizon.
Our customers build fast-growing businesses around our APIs, which power product features that were never before possible. We simultaneously ensure that our powerful tools are used responsibly. Safe deployment is more important to us than unfettered growth.
The Engineering team wraps a massive fleet of GPUs in scalable, robust, infrastructure powered by Kubernetes, Go, Python, Terraform, Kafka, Postgres, and Snowflake.
We are looking for an experienced engineering manager to help grow the team, set clear direction for the future, and build a diverse and inclusive culture.
In this role, you will:
- Help set a vision for your team and Applied as a whole, and then ensure we efficiently achieve our goals
- Ensure your team of engineers are performing at their peak, are growing, and advancing in their careers
- Create a diverse and inclusive culture that makes all feel welcome while enabling radical candor and the challenging of group think
- Work with Product Managers, your Tech Lead, and leadership to ensure projects are on track, your team is utilized effectively, and core engineering needs are continuously addressed
- Provide technical direction and mentorship along with your Tech Lead.
You might thrive in this role if you:
- Have at least 5 years of experience as an individual contributor engineer and at least 2 years of experience leading several other engineers
- Are deeply thoughtful about culture, DEI, and team structure with a track record of improving these areas
- Can dive into our codebase, intuit how it works, and be able to have a strong intuition for suggestions that will lead us to a stronger engineering position.
- Experience creating and dismantling engineering processes with a strong experience-driven intuition for crafting minimal, simple processes
- Experience closing competitive candidates for their team and the ability to craft and convey compelling visions of the future
- Very high emotional intelligence and deeply empathetic personality. A strong ability to read between the lines and genuinely connect with a diverse range of fellow colleagues
- A voracious and intrinsic desire to learn and fill in missing skills. An equally strong talent for sharing that information clearly and concisely with others
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and rapidly changing conditions. You view changes as an opportunity to add structure and order when necessary
- Experience in Machine Learning techniques is a plus, but not required
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via firstname.lastname@example.org.