About the Team
OpenAI’s Legal team plays an indispensable role in achieving OpenAI's mission by navigating cutting edge legal issues in the field of AI. If you care deeply about doing meaningful and novel work as a technology lawyer, this is the place for you.
About the Role
Our Applied AI team is responsible for the safe development and commercialization of OpenAI's innovations. The Counsel, Applied AI, will lead commercial legal initiatives for this team and projects across the company, as needed. This role will report to the Associate General Counsel, and engage regularly with leaders on technical, product, and commercial teams.
In this role, you will
- Help lead the commercial legal function for OpenAI, with a focus on operationalizing and scaling legal support for OpenAI’s commercialization and partnership efforts.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial and licensing agreements with customers, vendors, and partners, and manage regulatory, compliance, and operational issues that arise.
- Partner closely with technical, product, and commercial teams to proactively manage risks, identify legal issues and drive decision-making.
You might thrive in this role if you
- Have at least 4-8 years of legal experience at a technology-focused law firm and/or reputable technology company.
- Have significant experience with drafting and negotiating complex licensing and commercial agreements.
- Proficiency with IP, product, privacy, and/or regulatory issues is a big plus.
- Have a strong sense of ownership, are inquisitive and enthusiastic about technology, enjoy being continually challenged, and can demonstrate sound judgment in ambiguous situations.
- Have a JD degree and a license to practice in California
OpenAI is an AI research and deployment company dedicated to ensuring that general-purpose artificial intelligence benefits all of humanity. We push the boundaries of the capabilities of AI systems and seek to safely deploy them to the world through our products. AI is an extremely powerful tool that must be created with safety and human needs at its core, and to achieve our mission, we must encompass and value the many different perspectives, voices, and experiences that form the full spectrum of humanity.
At OpenAI, we believe artificial intelligence has the potential to help people solve immense global challenges, and we want the upside of AI to be widely shared. Join us in shaping the future of technology.
Benefits and Perks
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- Mental health and wellness support
- 401(k) plan with 4% matching
- Unlimited time off and 18+ company holidays per year
- Paid parental leave (20 weeks) and family-planning support
- Annual learning & development stipend ($1,500 per year)
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability or other legally protected statuses. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities, and requests can be made via email@example.com.