The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is growing rapidly and seeking a Data Governance Analyst to be a key member of a growing Data Governance & Discoverability team which oversees metadata management and data governance across the organization. As a Data Governance Analyst, you will be focused on design & build of features in the newly-implemented Alation Data Catalog, as well as systemization of data governance policies and procedures - in support of the larger goal to make internal data stunningly easy to work with!
As a Data Governance Analyst, you will
- Perform functional configuration tasks, testing, integrations, and migrations related to the data catalog.
- Work with other data teams to gain expert level understanding of the data catalog software and extended features
- Develop SQL queries to automate collection of predefined KPIs/metrics to measure data catalog usage and adoption.
- Work with engineering teams to define and implement processes to capture and manage data lineage in the data catalog.
- Perform proactive data profiling, technical data analysis, and review profiling results with the business to identify and enforce data quality rules for critical data.
- Work to update, escalate, identify root cause, and resolve trouble tickets submitted by end users; document & train on proper procedure
- Develop organized documentation on all aspects of the role including: administrative functions, design decisions, end user manuals, troubleshooting guidelines, metadata knowledge & policies/procedures.
- Provide guidance & training to the business on how to leverage the data catalog and implement data governance policies.
- Help coordinate stakeholder communications to ensure all data consumers are aware of data governance & discoverability activities
We’re looking for someone with
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training with data tools, techniques, and manipulation
- At least 2 years experience working in a Data Governance, Data Management and/or Data Architecture role
- General knowledge about core data lake, data warehousing and business intelligence concepts; thorough knowledge of data lineage and data quality concepts
- Partnership-focused; ability to empathize and prioritize work based on business need
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to collaborate well with team members and business partners
- Effective and efficient in eliciting and documenting data definition, policy, procedure, standards, quality rules with enough context/detail to enable self-serve understanding
- Thorough knowledge of SQL; MQL knowledge is a plus
- Working knowledge of HTML/XML, JSON & Python scripting
- Working knowledge of APIs and associated configurations
- Hands-on experience with a data catalog product such as Alation, Collibra, etc. preferred
- Self-starter, motivated, and eager to problem-solve, innovate, learn and grow within the company
- Proactive, highly-organized & detail-oriented
- In 1 month, you will have onboarded to an understanding of the Internal Data Platform with a focus on Alation. You will be able to perform basic technical tasks with some guidance
- In 2-3 months, you will have fully ramped with our Data teams and established ownership of Alation administrative functions (outside of upgrades, patch application) with minimal guidance needed
- In 4-6 months, you will have a comprehensive understanding of the overarching goal of Metadata Management, Data Governance, Data Quality, Data Lineage, etc. and will be supporting these goals through your work both tactically and in partnership with stewards/SMEs across the organization
We are remote optional through April 4th, 2022 afterwards this role will be in-office in our New York City office long-term.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.