Want to infuse a $34B sector of the insurance and real estate industry with predictive analytics and a tech-forward customer experience? Yearning for a startup culture within a profitable nationwide company? Join Doma and send an entirely new type of real estate model into the wild.
Doma and its family of brands - States Title, North American Title Company (NATC) and North American Title Insurance Company (NATIC) - offer solutions for lenders, real estate professionals, title agents, and homeowners that make closings vastly more simple and efficient, reducing cost and increasing customer satisfaction.
About the Role
This Doma underwriting counsel shall assist in underwriting decisions pertinent to residential and commercial properties located within the geographic regions including the states of Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Delaware and Vermont, as well as back-up underwriting support in additional jurisdictions as needed. This counsel will also be responsible for expansion into these new states and support our State Agency Managers in these markets.
Provides advisory guidance to associates, independent agents and customers on underwritten files. Monitors and manages high liability approvals. Communicates with and assists customers regarding company's products and services. Assists agents and affiliates with the legal aspects of title and closing issues. Represents company in state and national land title and bar associations; support our Compliance Counsel and Corporate Legal Department in the review of and compliance with state regulations, laws, statutes and regulations. Maintains confidentiality of all department, company and enterprise goals. Refers to company's other Underwriting Counsel for consultation. Supports affiliated agent expansion efforts with underwriting, escrow and forms guidance and training.
Agent education is critical, and the multi-jurisdictional approach is critical. This role will lead a team of underwriting department professionals in developing a new agent training program to benefit not only Doma agents but all Company associates.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are typical of those performed by attorneys in this role; however, assigned duties may vary and associates may perform other related duties, and not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each associate in the job title or at a particular location.
Under general supervision:
• Underwrites commercial and residential title closings.
• Assists independent and affiliated agent title and escrow officers on extraordinary issues, questions and closing problems.
• Supports Company efforts with assigned state regulators, rating agencies and bureaus and licensing organizations, including preparation of files for ceding to reinsurer.
• Reviews and approves high liability orders within maximum approved limits.
• Provides independent and affiliated agent training.
• Advises and meets with independent and affiliated agents regarding escrow and title closing issues.
• Supports independent and affiliated agents with marketing efforts directed at attorneys, lenders, realtors or buyer/seller clients.
• Responds to claim problems, advises the title or escrow officers involved with Claims Department approval.
• Participates as requested by Deputy Chief Underwriting Counsel and Chief Underwriting Counsel management in marketing and education efforts, including developing and making presentations to large and small groups, writing Bulletins and articles for Doma and outside publications.
• Stays current and distributes to staff information regarding new laws and procedures.
• Involvement in title industry associations, state and local title organizations as well as related industry and state bar associations.
• Travel on company business within state and without.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by Deputy Chief Underwriting Counsel and Chief Underwriting Counsel.
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Juris Doctorate degree.
• Continuing legal education requirements.
• Member of Bar Association and license to practice law in at least one primary assigned state and willingness to secure license in additional states as warranted by corporate growth.
• Title insurance underwriting experience and real estate transactional background.
• Knowledge of real estate and title insurance law in assigned state(s).
• Effective written and oral communication skills.
• Relevant computer skills: Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, Asana, Slack, Looker, various title data bases.
We believe the most valuable investment we can make - and the greatest boost we can give to your career - is to build an outstanding team of colleagues who are passionate about our mission.
We currently offer the following benefits and will continually evolve them with the goal of efficiently attracting, retaining, and leveraging the very highest quality talent.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.