Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is looking for a full stack engineer, with a focus on front end technology to support the company's custom built web properties running on an underlying microservices architecture. Additionally, they will need a working knowledge on a broad set of content management platforms such as Contentstack, Confluence, taxonomy management platforms, federated search technology, web application engineering and architectural practices.
Airbnb has implemented a headless content management system - Contentstack to power internal and external web properties; Help Center, Resource center, Corporate Intranet among others. BizTech (Airbnb IT) is implementing a taxonomy platform to centralize metadata models used by company wide products and services.
- Responsible for system architecture to host custom and off the shelf web applications, application server architecture and underlying DevOps practices and tooling
- Be responsible for the API Web client used by every product team at Airbnb
- Experience with API gateways, middleware technology for integrations with other applications
- Improve end-user performance through data streaming, prefetching, smart caching and optimizing GraphQL execution on web
- Build a first-class offline experience for mobile web users
- Create a delightful developer experience through static analysis, codegen tools and insightful metrics
- Build relationships with frontend engineers in product orgs (e.g. Homes, Experiences) and solve for their API needs
- Develop and champion best practices for building performant applications using GraphQL
- Support - Responsible for support during business hours for the entire technology stack as well as being on-call for support.
- Service Health - Responsible for managing the health of our technology stack including node health, performance optimization and tuning
- Monitoring - Experience defining requirements and implementing monitoring solutions
- Responsible for managing multiple projects as well as operational tasks.
- 7+ years as an content management or collaboration technology system architect/engineering lead with a track record of implementing enterprise scale business products/applications
- 5+ years of industry frontend engineering experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Fluency in HTML, DOM and related web technologies
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues, browser networking and client-side performance considerations
- Experience with GraphQL and compilers is a plus
- Ability to work on cross-functional projects demanding collaboration, communication and project management skills needed to be successful in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be an effective communicator when reviewing customer requirements to be translated into technical requirements
- Effective documentation skills to properly define new policies, run books, change requests, requirements documents
- Experience working in an agile software development where work is managed in development sprints including backlog grooming, sprint planning, sprint execution, deployments and sprint retrospectives
- Experience working with hardware and software automation and configuration using Chef and Terraform