Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Trust organization protects, guides, and mobilizes the creation of trust in our community and on our platform. We hire quality talent who embody our company values and hold a steadfast commitment to creating a world where anyone in the Airbnb community can host, travel, and connect with peace of mind.
We provide the frameworks through which P&P's constituent teams boldly build for the future. We connect P&P initiatives to our overall vision and mission. We anticipate and prepare for long-term growth challenges.
- You are a bold, passionate and empathetic manager and leader, who can build and balance many complex global strategic initiatives at once, while simultaneously leading a highly thriving team.
- You are an expert in project and program management, and possess superior skills to inform strategic decisioning and implement disruptive initiatives, with a bias for action and impact.
- You are a committed developer of talent and gain true satisfaction by developing and growing people to reach their true potential and deliver high impact.
- You are a natural coalition builder, who has held a multitude of roles and/or has extensive experience with seasoned executives to offer business acumen and thought leadership on a range of topics.
- You are a recognized thought partner who is comfortable representing your organization in various leadership and strategic forums, having mastered the art of engaging and influencing large and small audiences.
- You have successfully led global, large-scale strategic planning efforts and can build out planning processes, influence senior leaders to align on business needs and then deploy tactical resources to execute.
- You are a strategic thinker who appreciates the big picture behind actions and plans, and employs the right tools and strategies to build durable and relevant solutions that deliver on short and long term value and have a sustained impact on the business and team.
- You are a resourceful and creative problem solver who figures out root causes and facilitates durable solutions
How you’ll make an impact
As Senior Manager for the newly created Trust Policy & Programs’ (P&P) Global Program Management Office (PMO), one of your top goals will be to build a world-class, global PMO that drives execution of the Trust organization’s most important initiatives.
You will define and communicate the strategic vision for the PMO function as you build up, scale, and manage a team of project and program managers. In addition to leading your own team, you will indirectly lead project and program managers in other functional groups ensuring cohesive delivery for the broader range of teams and communities Trust supports.
You will own the creation and implementation of program management governance for P&P to deliver clear, consistent processes and standards, intake management, capacity planning, tool standardization, and the continuous improvement of PMO delivery.
You will work closely with the Director of Strategy, Director of Business Operations, and Trust teams to facilitate the planning process for P&P, supporting the organization in defining the critical short and medium term initiatives while also considering the long term strategic objectives for Trust.
You and your team will set the roadmap for Trust Policy & Programs each quarter, and activate execution across teams. As the organization moves to execution, you will deploy your project and program managers to execute on the defined critical initiatives for that quarter. You and your team will then serve as strategic advisors on day-to-day execution, leveraging your relationships in and outside of P&P and Trust to inform the path forward.
In this role you’ll get to
- Architect and implement the strategy, structure, and operating rhythm for the global P&P PMO, inspired by a center of excellence mindset and substantiated by industry best practices.
- Design and operationalize project and program management governance for both your direct and indirect teams of project and program managers including a framework, processes, tools, and standards that will drive program uniformity and reliability.
- Hire, empower, and grow a team of project and program managers who will strive for operational excellence as they drive the organization toward business results, focused on managing the throughput and cohesion of projects across the globe from project inception to implementation and resource oversight.
- Advise and drive integration of projects and programs across the Trust organization to enable cohesiveness and predictability in quality deliverables.
- Design and operationalize the short-term (0-12 month) planning process while partnering with strategy leads focused on the longer range plan to create and integrate the short and long term roadmaps.
- Partner with the Business Analytics team to identify trends and meta themes that can impact program delivery. Anticipate potential risks and implications of decisions, and advise senior leadership and team on how best to address them.
- Lead and communicate the status of key planning milestones such as annual and quarterly planning as well as large scale cross functional and cross company programs led by P&P.
- Drive and influence discussions among stakeholder groups to assess organizational priorities, work through trade-offs, and make strategic decisions to keep our Trust organization, and Airbnb focused on stated objectives.
- Serve as the connective tissue by elevating and owning relationships between the most critical initiatives within Trust P&P and our stakeholders to deliver cohesive project and program delivery.
We are looking for people who have
- 10+ years of people management and team leadership experience.
- Managed a medium-large sized team of project and program managers and knows what it takes to build, coach and develop a solid, inclusive, collaborative and motivated team of individuals.
- Deep experience managing cross-functional projects in a rapidly changing industry, managing ambiguity, and demonstrating problem-solving mastery with limited oversight.
- Proven ability to set the vision and direction for new teams, prioritizing objectives and resources to scale impact over time.
- Strategic planning expertise, with an ability to craft high-level narratives that influence senior leadership, keep them engaged and aligned to meet specified timelines.
- Experience building and maintaining key relationships outside direct reporting lines from individual contributors to managers and executives.
- Well-developed tactical, problem-solving and analytical skills that complement your big-picture thinking.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including shifting from delivering an executive presentation to providing tactical updates for stakeholders.
- Strong time management and prioritization capabilities.
- An assumption of positive intent that is balanced with a bias for understanding and mitigating impact.
- Successfully used various program management tools such as JIRA, Asana, or Smartsheet, and processes to manage your and your team’s programs at an expert level.
- 15+ years experience in an Operations, Technology or Trust and Safety environment; Product Development experience.
- Experience within fraud, risk, trust, safety, customer operations organizations.
- Advanced degree and/or certification in Program Management.