Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Together, we work hard, we laugh a lot, we brainstorm nonstop, and we give the best high-fives in town.
Airbnb’s Public Policy team develops campaigns to advance our public policy positions. Our community is growing rapidly, so it's important that we work closely with politicians, regulators, and legislators to help them understand the issues that affect our community, as well as educating different decision-making bodies about the amazing positive impact we can have on tourism. To do this role effectively you must be able to build trust and engage with a variety of governments, from municipal to national, to help them understand our business and the contributions of our community. We engage with the media and governments, and win hearts and minds in order to support Airbnb’s growth.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb and have significant experience with or in government, politics, campaigns or advocacy groups. Our ideal candidate is also a creative and effective strategist; has broad business and people interests and knowledge; can create and execute ideas. This person should be inclined to boldly take on issues and challenges; to comfortably confront and work through conflict; to communicate messages without hesitation. They should be self-aware; responsive to feedback; and flexible and adaptable and thrive in a dynamic environment with the ability to work on various projects simultaneously, requiring strong organizational and time management skills.
This person should also have demonstrated experience in building trust and credibility with both internal and external stakeholders; a solid understanding of business strategies and priorities with an ability to connect business strategies into relevant policy campaigns. They should be a passionate, thoughtful and clear communicator, and be able to articulate policy strategies to the team and internal departmental stakeholders. It is a bonus to have worked in a startup, ecommerce, or other high growth, fast paced industry.
To support our intention to find the best candidate for the role we are open to applications from candidates based across the region, but we will have a preference for the role to be based in Dublin or London. This position will report to our Global Campaign Director.
- Work closely with global leadership to develop and implement Airbnb’s regulatory, legislative and public policy strategies; including contextualizing global priorities, positions, and strategies
- Work with senior colleagues as a member of the EMEA regional leadership team, advancing cross-functional regional priorities around people and projects, contributing to regular business updates and reviews
- Support the execution of corporate and international business initiatives in specific jurisdictions throughout the EMEA region
- Manage a team of seasoned multi-disciplinary professionals in jurisdictions throughout the region, to facilitate the continued growth of our community
- Committed people leader who invests in the professional growth of team members
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders to engage with regulatory agencies on Airbnb’s priority issues, including crafting and negotiating language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative regulations, and managing the publication of substantive issue briefs and position papers
- Represent Airbnb in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives
- Direct research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters in assigned region and advise company with respect to policy challenges
- Ensure that executives and corporate leaders are well informed of regional and jurisdiction specific development that will impact business operations and brand perception
- Represent Airbnb in meetings with government and elected officials
- Build coalitions with other organizations to advance policy goals of Airbnb
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies
- Degree or advanced degree level in related field
- At least 15 years experience working in politics, government, regulator, or relevant business or non-governmental organization (a mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage)
- Broad policy experience and preferably direct knowledge in one or more of the following fields: Internet, Tourism regulations, EU digital policy, housing or landlord/tenant law
- Knowledge of the political and regulatory environment throughout Europe is essential
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent leadership and management abilities
- An empathetic leader who cares about people, provides opportunities for people from all backgrounds to succeed and inspires and motivates others
- Ability to create an environment that fosters and promotes diversity and inclusion within the immediate team
- Guided by a personal integrity that reflects Airbnb’s core values and commitment to our stakeholders
- Record of maintaining the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity
- Makes decisions for the good of the whole organization and fosters a culture of mobility and individual growth
- Direct experience working within local, state, regional or national politics, government, think tanks, public interest groups or the field of corporate public policy
- Ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues
- Excellent communicator, written and verbal, with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson
- Ability to manage multiple projects and navigate a complex matrix organization with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to support in-market advocacy campaigns, using tactics like community organizing and paid media
- Experience of working across more than one geography would be a significant advantage
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.