The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB powers some of the world’s most innovative products and services with extremely demanding scalability, performance and reliability requirements. As we grow to address more and more workloads, performance remains a top priority. We’re looking for a seasoned Product Manager to continue and expand upon our platform performance efforts.
The ideal candidate has experience in application performance benchmarking, A/B testing in lab & production environments, database workload analysis and modeling.
What you’ll do
- Lead the database server team to optimal product decisions with data from internal stakeholders, customers, prospects, competitive analysis and industry benchmarks
- Define personas for different types of common workloads, identify/prioritize instrumentation and tooling necessary to better understand and accurately reproduce performance as experienced by customers
- Identify new performance goals that would help MongoDB grow its business by addressing new use cases in different market segments
- Drive collaboration across Engineering, Marketing, Sales, and executive leadership
- Passionately advocate for our customers about performance and its impacts on usability
- Provide an unparalleled customer experience by driving new features, marketing programs, customer surveys, partnerships, pricing and technical documentation
- Work with adjacent products to ensure each initiative delivers maximum impact to customers across our data platform
We’re looking for someone with
- 5+ years of experience working in the software industry as a product manager with at least 2 years spent in performance related work (distributed systems, algorithm development, language compiler/runtime, query optimization, network performance)
- Solid technical skills — our users are developers, DBA's, SysAdmins, etc. Our product managers must be just as technical and have working knowledge in these areas to better advocate for our users; while not expected to write production code, you should be comfortable diving into new code, learning from existing examples, exploring APIs, logs, performance tracing, triaging bugs, analyzing support cases, and speaking authoritatively on any of the technical aspects of the tools in your portfolio
- Experienced in analyzing data (using tools like Tableau, R or Python) to defining meaningful requirements and north star metrics
- The ability to communicate complex technical issues simply and convincingly to a wide range of audiences
- Ability to distill customer use cases and requirements, write comprehensive business cases and execute on them
- Professional experience in the domains of distributed systems, databases and cloud technologies
- B.Sc. in technical discipline, Computer Science preferred
- Bonus points for
- Demonstrated success in leading a platform product with high performance/scale requirements in its respective industry
- Previously built representative database workloads and synthetic benchmarks for different industry verticals and use cases
- Demonstrated success as a product manager on a fast-paced, growing team
- Self-starter who enjoys challenges across a broad range of disciplines
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in relevant domain
How success will be measured
- In 3 months you will be fully versed in the MongoDB Platform and all of its component parts
- In 9 months you will understand and be able to clearly communicate the needs of the stakeholders you will be managing
- In 12 months you will be using that understanding to direct the engineering roadmap and ensure the successful release and use of new features by our customers
This role is remote optional until April 4th, 2022, we are looking to speak to candidates who plan to be available in New York, NY or Palo Alto, CA for when we introduce our hybrid model.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.