The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
We're looking for engineers interested in helping us build the best technology education program in the industry. Our ideal candidate is a software developer who also loves to teach. You've built some non-trivial applications. But you also have a passion for explaining technical concepts in just the right way.
This is a unique role because it combines teaching and software engineering. You'll design highly technical instructor-led training courses
with hands-on exercises to help people get the most out of MongoDB technologies. You'll also become a veritable MongoDB expert. When applying, please let us know in a few words why you'd be a good fit. Polymath developer? Technology geek? Hacker who loves to speak and write? If any of these descriptions fit, then we'd love to hear from you!
What you’ll do
- Evaluate training requirements by product and user role, and turn those requirements into courses with clearly defined learning objectives and learning paths
- Design, develop, and maintain course materials. Course materials include presentation content, student and instructor guides, demo scripts, hands-on coding exercises, quizzes and assessments
- Use feedback and survey data from students, training instructors and MongoDB field engineering teams to create new courses and improve existing courses
- Spend up to two weeks each quarter co-delivering classes alongside a MongoDB instructor to gain firsthand experience of how course content is delivered and received
- Build “train-the-trainer” materials to enable MongoDB’s training instructors around the world to deliver our training courses effectively
- Learn about new product features and teaching methods, collaborating with the MongoDB product engineering and field engineering teams to create engaging, accurate, in-depth educational material
- Develop sample applications using a variety of programming languages
- Continually look for ways to extend and improve our courses to support new products and features, and to enhance the learning experience for students and their instructors
Experience you’ll need
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related engineering discipline, or equivalent experience in a software or technology-related field
- Aptitude and attitude are more important than credentials
- Demonstrated experience in at least two of the following areas: teaching, technical content development, public speaking, technical writing
- Solid understanding of a programming language
- You are comfortable and familiar with modern software development practices and infrastructure
- Experience using one or more database technologies. Knowledge of MongoDB is a plus, but not required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A “can-do” attitude, and the ability to work collaboratively with all members of the curriculum development team and training delivery staff
- Ability to manage time effectively, to complete tasks on a deadline, and to effectively communicate project status and risks as timelines evolve
- You enjoy self-driven exploration and education on new technologies and languages, and can adapt innovative technologies and learn quickly in a fast-paced environment
Within 3 months:
Complete new hire technical training to acquire hands-on technical knowledge of MongoDB products, their specific capabilities and use cases
Via new hire training and shadowing, acquire a deep knowledge of MongoDB instructor-led training offerings, student personae and learning objectives
Assist in the creation and review of new training content (slides and hands-on exercises)
Within 6 months:
Successfully co-deliver several MongoDB training courses, demonstrating a solid understanding of the source material
Comfortable with creating and releasing new / updated training content, given a course outline with defined learning objectives
Contribute to the design of new and updated training offerings
Within 12 months:
Own the end-to-end production of one or more training offerings - from curriculum design to content development to gathering stakeholder feedback
With the broader Curriculum team, contribute to refining processes and tooling to drive increased development velocity and quality of instructor-led training content
This role can be based out of our Austin, Chicago or New York City office or remotely in North America.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.