Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Senior Manager, Manager Effectiveness will lead and develop the strategy for manager effectiveness across Airbnb. This individual will be expected to design and implement initiatives to develop manager effectiveness capabilities that enable and support the business strategy. Working closely with the senior business and Employee Experience leaders, this individual will provide leadership in the area of strategy alignment and deployment and change management. Manager Effectiveness consists of leveraging the validated performance expectations, ongoing needs assessment, competency validation, deployment of the management model across all touch points in the employee and manager’s journey, and work with Systems and Learning to ensure that the tools and learning align with the desired outcomes for 21st century managers at Airbnb.
The individual in this role will have responsibility for developing the strategy, playbook, tools and processes to improve manager effectiveness for Airbnb.
- Serve as the key point of contact for manager effectiveness and work with the business and EX leaders on all strategy development and deployment including talent design, talent partners, learning, people analytics to ensure that manager expectations are embedded in all of our talent practices.
- Drive an integrated Manager Effectiveness strategy. Design and execute initiatives to accelerate manager effectiveness across the organization.
- Engage managers of managers to effect change for all managers broadly
- Support the business and EX leaders in manager capability across the organization within and across multiple sites. Drive change management efforts to insure progress against goals and objectives.
- Work with teams in Talent to ensure Airbnb’s Manager model is integrated into our learning programs, assessment and talent management processes and hiring practices. Accelerate manager effectiveness as they transition between IC roles and are promoted within the organization.
- Work with the leadership team to integrate new managers who join through acquisitions.
- Support and provide consultation for an effective on-boarding solutions process for multiple audiences ensuring that the expectations are consistent across the organization for new acquired employees.
- Develop an organizational wide manager effectiveness development strategy that partners with learning and development resources as appropriate to support the learning strategy. Establish measurement systems for measuring Manager effectiveness in a comprehensive way.
Candidate Attributes/Skills Sought
- Transformational leadership. A transformational leader with a proven track record of change and transformation in a large, growing organization in a complex industry.
- Stakeholder management. Lead and influence others and share knowledge. A relationship builder.
- Results driven. An individual who has a strong bias for action.
- Humble and learning oriented. An individual who is confident, secure and self-aware who is also humble and understands the need to honor and validate the existing culture before attempting to make change; someone who is willing to ask questions, learn and do vs. tell and expect others to do.
- Project management. Strong project planning and management skills. Contract with business clients to identify and prioritize work. Ability to integrate and align strategy, people and activities across functions, processes and teams. Able to translate vision and strategy into clear actionable goals.
- Vision. An individual who thinks strategically and can establish, articulate and implement a vision for the organization as it relates to human capital.
- Manager effectiveness experience. Comprehensive knowledge and experience leading manager effectiveness programs, change management concepts, tools and methods and manager effectiveness and talent management principles and processes.
- Coaching and development experience. Practical experience providing formal/informal executive coaching and development in all areas of manager effectiveness, but particularly in change management at the org wide level
- Business acumen. knowledgeable, professional; understands all aspects of how a business operates, able to develop and articulate the value proposition of a new strategy, process or program.
- Analytical skills. Uses data to approach problem solving, understanding root cause, driving decision making and measuring business and performance outcomes.
- 12+ years Manager and/or Leadership Effectiveness experience in a medium to large company, in a fast paced, complex, global company with a demonstrated history of success in leading change, acquisition integration, talent management and achieving results.
- Experience in a technology, product, or two-sided marketplace environment is preferred.
- Experience working in a line operations role, is highly desirable, but not required.
- International experience is desirable.
- Master’s degree in business, human resources or related field is preferred.